Saturday 12 December 2009

8th December 2009 - Filming Day and Influences for scenes

Ok so today we planned to film the classroom scenes and parents evening. I was disappointed that people were late so I’d wasted my time writing a rehearsal schedule (annoying as I stayed up late to get it done)! Josh had also forgot his script and had half of Nicola’s at his place, which made it difficult as we only had one script to work with between our entire cast and crew. I had printed a schedule for Nicola, Mark and myself (thought it would be useful for Mark to know where he’s as with the sound too) which I think was helpful when it came to filming, although Mark hadn’t brought his storyboards which slowed us down a little – not entirely Mark’s fault as he thought that I would have been picking them up (explained in previous post).

Despite the negatives listed above, I think we did a fairly good job today. We had a huge classroom with only 5 extras, but worked around it by blocking the back half of the classroom off with boards and ensuring that the left hand side of the classroom was entirely out of shot at all times. Our extras were great and were understanding when there was some confusion between our group about what scene/shots we were doing. They did everything asked of them and also gave us some input in to how they thought something should be said, etc, which I think was very useful – their age group are our target audience after all!

We did get all of the classroom scenes filmed today, which is great, but I am still disappointed that we didn’t get the parents evening scene completed as well. There was no reason at all why we couldn’t have finished all of the filming today – I had done a realistic schedule and, had it been stuck to strictly, we could have done it. In my opinion, yes we don’t want a negative atmosphere when on a shoot, but it isn’t negative to push to get things done when we’re working to a deadline. I think that everyone needs to take shoots seriously and act professionally, rather than making the main aim of the shoot to have fool around and have a laugh. I know I sound so miserable and I’m all for having fun, BUT when there’s time for it!

Anyway, we have made a decision to film the parents evening scene on Friday. I cannot attend the shoot due to hospital appointments which cannot be missed, but Sam has volunteered to take my role of Camera Operator for the day. Sam has worked along side me wherever possible and has also completed some of the storyboards, and I trust him completely to film this scene on my behalf. Having said that, I still don’t like that I’m not going to be there – I like to know what’s going on and have my say!

Guys here are a few links that I think you should check out:

· http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqr8yPipfJ8

This is the opening scene to the first ever episode of The Inbetweeners. I think that the voiceover used here throws the audience straight in to familiarising themselves with Will, the protagonist, and it may be interesting to try a similar thing for the opening of our film. Josh, I know you’re really up for this and I’ve not been so sure, but I think that if it’s made to me humorous like this one it could be great. It will have to be scripted and acted very well though!

· http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TYr9Vg9Uj0

This could be good as it’s a conversation between Simon and Carly, but Jay keeps coming in to it. It would be interesting to look at the camera work here as we will be having a conversation between Jack and Nicola, with Sean having a little bit of dialogue every now and again (the parents evening scene). Simon also really likes Carly so it might be good to look at what techniques are used here that we may be able to use to demonstrate how Jack really likes Nicole. An interesting one that I noticed is how Simon is sitting and is a little lost for words, whilst Carly is standing confidently above him. It’s almost as though he’s looking up to her. Furthermore, it’s as though she is above him, too good for him, and he cannot have her – we could use a similar thing in our film to show how Jack feels around Nicole, and to emphasise how he cannot have her whilst he is a pathetic teacher (at the beginning of the film). We could use camera/actor positioning to signify his confidence growing throughout the film (i.e. Low angle shot of Nicole above him/high angle of Nicole looking down on him to begin with then, as his character progresses and he becomes more confident, this changes so that they are on the same level).

· http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htyf5wnC96w&feature=related


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6gva6Sz67A&feature=related

These are a couple of clips from Mean Girls, I know it isn’t like our film but it’s useful to look at the shots they use in the classroom – plus we need to look at film styles rather than sitcom styles

No comments:

Post a Comment