Tuesday 15 December 2009

Sound Recording 8th December

After the problems with the previous shoots, I thought I may go a little different with this shoot. As I'm also working with stereo sound in my sound piece, I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and use the short stereo microphone which I had acquired from stores.

Now the problem with a stereo microphone is that with double the sound comes double the cables. This is especially unhelpful when you dont have a cable basher to be in control of where your wires are constantly. Another problem with the microphone is that it didn't seem to be as sensitive as the regular rifle mic that we use. (Maybe it was just me again, like many of the sound problems...) This lead to me leaning the extra little bit closer to get the sound and sometimes causing the boom to be in shot.

On that note, after looking at the footage which is currently being edited, the feedback that I'm getting from Josh (editor) is that the boom appears in shot A LOT and sadly wrecks a few good bits. In my head I've been waiting for the camera operator (Amy) to tell me if its in, but looking back I've been a bit selfish on this. With such a small crew and no monitor hooked up to the camera, it would be one more small job for her. I should have been asking at every new set-up where the edge-of-frame was, so I can concede that its totally my fault.

On the plus side to the mic, it does take a stereo sound and this is helpful in the classroom scenes where theres more than one person talking at once.

Finally, one last problem for the day, which is yet another fault of mine. A big fault this time, that lead me in to trouble outside of the group. We had been running a little late in the classroom scenes and were all a little stressed. I had a copious amount of equipment and once it came the time for us all to pack up and leave, I didn't run through and do an equipment count. Once I got home and started work on more sound work I found that I had actually left behind the standard microphone which is given out with all the Marantzs. Ouch.
I had to tell stores on Friday, they were... unimpressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment