Friday 4 December 2009

Problems with sound

2 Days of filming - 2 Problems to deal with.

The first problem happened in the first bedroom scene. The room we were using was incredibly small. Great for the visual, I'm sure, but for the sound? Not so good. Every sound that was made was twice the volume as usual and I hadn't had the foresight to book out a mixer.
So instead of maxing out the sound, I opted to use the Marantz for this scene where I was in control of the audio. The problem with that being that I would have to sync the sound in edit, especially hard when you're not using a clapperboard and declaring which shot is being filmed.

The second problem was worse in my opinion. The room which was booked out for us (which Im sure were all still grateful for) was twice the size (height wise too) that we needed and it created an almighty echo with the sound. As we had seen the room before filming, I came prepared. I brought a mixer! Also, my plan was to get as close as possible to the actors with the boom so that no shouting was involved. Also another problem was a constant fan working in the background. Turn the mic up and the fan could drown out the actors.
We only had two hours in the room so we were under pressure to get stuff done. I had already used the mixer before so I believed I knew what I was doing, but sadly when it came to it, it was obvious that I wasn't experienced with it enough. When all the equipment was connected there was an incredible feedback and the quality in disgusting.
Instead of using another twenty minutes to sort it (we were already behind) I opted to ditch the mixer and hook up straight to the camera and keep my fingers crossed. Sound from there was passible.

Its extremely frustrating that after a whole semester of absolutely loving the sound class, finding that I lacked the knowledge to overcome these problems in a quick and productive fashion. I SHOULD have known the small room would create problems, and I SHOULD have known exactly how to use the mixer.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these problems can be fixed in the edit room. If not, it looks to me like I've let the group down. Not what we need right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment